Friday, August 3, 2007

Jam can scram

The last couple of trips to the jam session have left a bitter taste in my mouth. Last night, it was crowded enough that I managed to play two songs. As the new guy, I get stuck with the other new guys. I get up there and am told we're playing The Thrill is Gone in A minor. No problem. I've done that a million times. Until I catch some dirty looks and cold shoulders from the horn section. What? Have I screwed up? Yes, it sounded off, but I played the part... It turns out, around here, they play it a little odd, with a turn at the end that I (having not played with these guys before) wasn't aware of. I caught on, but it wasn't until I had certainly shot myself in the foot with the cool kids. Damn.

I'm a little pissed. All I got was a look that said "F-you" when I needed someone to tell me F-E (the missing two notes). Sure, I missed the notes. But really, throw the new guy a bone. At the end of the tune, the horn players walked off stage. The next turned out even worse, as the guitar player named a tune that the drummer and I hadn't heard, and started a lead solo without cluing any of us in to the key. More of me on stage sounding like crap.

I know this is a lot of whining. I probably have beach sand left in my butt or something. But I think I am done with this jam session for a while. I am tired of looking like an ass because of poor communication. I know I will screw up from time to time, but I'd sure like it to be my own fault. And holding a jam in a performance setting isn't what I am into.

I was spoiled by the jam sessions at the Americana Music Academy. These guys got together in an old house. Varying levels of ability. We would sit in a circle, and one of the players would name a tune, play a little rhythm, and we would pick up and join in. It was a true learning experience. I think the jam session here is a chance to prove yourself and show off for other good musicians. It really isn't about learning. I wish I had a place to host one of the kansas-style jams I am used to. I need a learning opportunity, where failure is part of the process.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tough break man. Just remember you can always roundhouse kick them in the face later.

--lush

Ashley said...

Or you could allow your daughter to round house kick them in light of her obvious ninja ability. Beyond that, don't feel too bad. People who are that rude aren't fun to hang out with anyway. That is why they are such good musicians... they have no friends. You have the better end.