Saturday, August 25, 2007

It's made of people!

Aspect 3: Big Red Soda. In my never-ending quest for the Essence of Texan, I have come across something called "Red Soda" or "Big Red Soda". They appear to be much the same, but that is all I know of them. At first, I thought they might be bottled by the folks at Nihi, a division of RC that still produces Peach Nihi soda in some parts of the country, as well as grape and blue cream soda. But I was wrong.
So what is this stuff? Damned if I know. All anyone can tell me about it is that it's "good with barbecue." This makes it competition with beer in my world, and that's a competition nothing can win. When asked what flavor it is, folks around here reply, "Why, it's red, silly."
Red is a color. Not a flavor. I even marginally disapprove of strawberry, cherry, or cinnamon, the internationally accepted flavors designated as red, being called red.
So will I try it? Dare I sample something whose only claim to the world is "I'm red"? I shall. The next time I approach a fountain, I will swerve away from the Cherry Coke, or Dr. Pepper, or even my more usual water. My cup will runneth over with Red Soda, and I will drink with gusto. And maybe a straw. Hell, I drank Lone Star beer. I can handle anything.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As Homer Simpson says, "Purple is a fruit."

hideehogal said...

There was a phenomenon in Wisconsin called "white soda." It was the Sprite/7-Up clas of sodas.

Never found it anywhere else.

Red soda was also available in New Mexico (where I had it), wherein it was called red pop, or at least it was on the NMT campus. Whatever it is, it stains like a bitch.

Unknown said...

How are they fixed for Nehi there?

At least are closer to the source of Shiner beer now....