Thursday, August 28, 2008

Packing up and moving again...

For some reason it has been a tough thing for me to write about. Maybe it's anxiety over the details. Maybe it is disbelief. Maybe it is just frightening. But we are definitely moving.

Our time here has been a dichotomy. We have come to love a few wonderful people, the sunshiny days at Sea World, Sammy's school, and some familiar haunts. But these have been overshadowed by painful job difficulties, housing failures, financial woes, and the stress of feeling like we don't belong.

I feel like I have been trying to walk wearing just one shoe. Things that should be enjoyable are surprisingly awkward. Our apartment has never felt enough like home for us to unpack our boxes. Half the time I can't point north. I still haven't gotten a Texas driver's license!

I really have tried to click here. I had a job, joined a band, and picked a good coffee shop. I attended parades and festivals, drank Lone Star beer, and even tried on some cowboy boots. I think I'm just a Missouri-shaped peg in a Texas-shaped hole.
So I find, once again, the impending descent of packers and movers. We are bound now for Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Why Kalamazoo? Dr. Wife has found a job there that is more her speed and pays better. I'm unemployed, so it is an easy time for me to switch. Sammy doesn't start kindergarten for another year, so this is a good time from that front.

The town itself is a small, college town. That part is more our speed. It is much closer to my brewing brother and to several other close friends. It has bike paths and a climbing gym, several microbreweries and a cute downtown. I will have to deal with some serious winters. They do not screw around that far north when it comes to snow.

My friends in Texas, you will truly be missed. You did a damn good job of loving us, but it's time to hit I-35 again.

6 comments:

FTWinsor said...

Good luck with the move, and here's hoping that moving to a state that begins with an "M" makes you guys feel a little more at home.

Be sure to email us your new address when you get settled.

(Me? I can't stand Texas. Any state that demands to fly its flag on the same level as the US flag has some severe issues.)

Joshua M. Neff said...

What Gregg said. Good luck with the move! I hope you find things more to your liking in Michigan.

hideehogal said...

The American dream deferred, middle class not fitting in...man can we sympathize. Good luck with everything.

Vimineous said...

Keep your chin up there brother. I will all work out. Heck I am still unemployed and I guess I don't really mind it much at all. Sure I feel like a bum sometimes, and feel like I need to provide, but its something that will pass soon enough. What is the ETA for departure for I-35 North?

The Rover said...

We are done here on September 11th. Tick tock tick tock tick tock...

joygirl said...

Good luck. Just to let you know, you will only be 6 hours or so from us in Buffalo!!