Friday, August 8, 2008

Excelsior!

Upon strolling into my local coffee shop (as we unemployed sacks of crap are wont to do) I was greeted by the cashier shouting, "good morning, Green Lantern!" I forgot, for a moment, that my shirt had the ol' Green Lantern Corps emblem (not Alan Scott golden-age old but Hal Jordan silver-age old).

With X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man, Hellboy, and yes even the Fantastic Four (whose only saving grace is Jessica Alba's fine behind) movies, comics have entered a realm of socially cool that I could have used as a kid.

It is nice that those of us guys who never watch Sportscenter can still share a coded lingo. Talk of power rings, Jack Kirby, Rob Liefeld's complete inability to draw feet, Science!, randomly conferred cosmic powers, and green vs. gray Hulks can connect a room of geeks. We draw alliances, judge moral character, even form little Justice Leagues of Opinion.

Having a daughter whose passion in life is pink and spinny clothes, I assumed that I wouldn't get to pass this along. Then, I met SuperSammy...



In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!

3 comments:

Marah Jean said...

I think she gets her super powers from her tiara!

joygirl said...

This is why I always loved Wonder Woman......it's all about the accessories!

duff said...

where's a supergrover stuffed animal when you need one?

the cape thing reminds me- has she seen the incredibles yet?