Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Boneyard Education

A good buddy of mine introduced me to dominoes a few years back (yes, six years probably). I went through a phase where I played a lot and taught people so they could play with me. I spent several evenings at coffee shops with my brother, sipping coffee, listening to indie music, and playing dominoes.

While cleaning the garage, I ran across one of our boxes of dominoes. I brought it into the house, intending to sit with Dr. Wife and play in the evenings and give our scrabble and boggle games a change-up.

"What are those?" asked Miss Neverpoop.
"They're called dominoes, and it's a game," I replied, hope building. She knew how to count. She could recognize patterns. She knew how to take turns (theoretically).
"Can I play?" Her question completed the tower of hope.

So I proceeded to teach her how to play. And she is pretty darn good. No score keeping yet, just matching the pieces, drawing tiles, taking turns. Her attention span is about one hand, maybe two.





This is really the first time she and I have played a game together. Wii bowling, sure, but this one is really a game where we don't just score against each other, we play with each other.

And when she wins, she celebrates by putting on a leotard, sunglasses, and becomes a Badass Fairy of Victory.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that last photo rocks - all you need to do is dye her green and she'd fit right in to the matrix.

neverpoop: "i will never forget to love you, neo"
neo: "woah"

duff said...

we played with a set of plastic disney dominoes when i was little. sometimes, we even played the game properly, though we usually contented ourselves with dumping them out of the box, lining them up on end, and trying to flick the first one in the line with our fingers and watching it knock the rest down.