Saturday, September 27, 2008

Johnny come lately...

It may surprise some of you to hear it, but I am often shy. I know, I know... Good ol' Ramblin' Rover? Shy? Ah, but you didn't know me when...

As a chubby young lad with no social skills, making friends was tough. I'm so ridiculously self conscious. The way I look, stand, walk, sound... Every time I enter a new scene I am taken back to those early years when I wasn't as confident. And the calm, steadfast fellow you know and love dwindles back to the geeky fat kid who scurried from class to class because the hallways of school were too awkward to endure for any more time than absolutely necessary.

Today, I left the house alone. Save a foray to the grocery store, this was my first outing in Kalamazoo. You see, the American Homebrewers Association was hosting a gathering at Bell's Brewery, featuring Charlie Papazian. Needless to say, I was eager to see him. I considered even speaking to him, but that was when I imagined a dozen guys at the brewpub.

Try about 150. Bell's brewery is great. It was a hippie friendly environment with decent food and phenomenal beer (a hand-pulled porter tapped for the occasion was my favorite). I did see Papazian, and got to hear his rousing speech to the mass of Western Michiganders who had left their mash tuns and ventured out to hear him. But it was clear I was the only person who arrived at the bar alone, and who knew nobody.

Come on, Rover! Go Big!! Dive in with gregarious handshakes and calm smiles. You know how to do this. You teach people to do this!! But not today, I guess. Despite Old Crow Medicine Show playing on the sound system, and a second beer (this one a spiced stout), I couldn't step up. It just wasn't in me. I came home to regroup before Dr. Wife's department picnic this evening.

I did better there, I suppose. Dr. Wife is a sucker for trampolines, and so left to join the kids for quite some time. I managed some small talk, and hopefully didn't embarrass her in front of new supervisors and colleagues. I was relieved when the mosquitoes indicated that bedtime had arrived for the munchkin.

Strange, eh? Play bass in front of a crowd? No problem. Present to a hundred? Game on. Deliver a speech to 2000? Ok. But meet new people?

Maybe tomorrow I'll try again.

3 comments:

Dean Gemmell said...

I stumbled upon your blog because I spent eight years living in the Kalamazoo area and Larry Bell of Bell's Brewery was a client of mine. Ad business. I still have a Google Alert on them for that reason.

Anyway, I see that you've moved to the Zoo and as a guy who grew up in Canada and moved to that part of Michigan from New York City — so I wasn't a native — I want to let you know that you've made a great choice. I loved living there — we only moved back to the NYC area because my wife was spending 3-4 nights a week in Manhattan for her job. Five-year-old daughter, life, etc.

Stick with that funny little city. Keep going to Bell's. Make Water Street your coffee place. Go to Food Dance Cafe for breakfast first and then dinner. Get pizza from the grumpy owner at Martini's. My friends even tell me there's a new Wine Loft place that's sort of cool. I'm telling you, it is a town that looks a little grubby in spots but it is filled with interesting, open-minded people. Unlike bigger GR to the north, where you'll find lots of God and little of substance.

I'll give you another thought if you want to meet people quickly. Join the Kalamazoo Curling Club. Seriously. It's a new group and as a curling nut myself(www.thecurlingshow.com), I sparked the interest in a lot of people before I moved. They're all complete beginners so you don't have to worry about being good enough to fit in. Here's the web site: http://www.kalamazoocurlingclub.com/.

The guy leading the effort is a great friend of mine and a former business partner.

More than you need to know from a complete stranger who stumbled upon your blog. But I love the Kalamazoo area — the downtown, the area lakes, the proximity to mighty Lake Michigan and the north — and I always try to boost it. Embrace it, give it a chance and you'll be very happy indeed. I'm happy with my current location but I would have been very content to spend the rest of my life in the Zoo.

joygirl said...

The above post makes me giggle. I just spoke with my sister-in-law last night who recently left Lansing, MI for NYC. She too told me great things about Kalamazoo, not leaving out that it looks like a funny little city, and though it might not look like much, has tons of character and much to offer. I hope that this new little "funny looking" city reminds you more of home than TX and I somehow have this feeling that you, ms, neverpoop, and dr wife might just be calling the place home (and meaning it) in no time.

On a more selfish note, I'm still thrilled you are closer. 6-7 hours to us if you cross Canada. I'm stoked and dreaming of a trip that gets the Killmer offspring together for a much deserved playdate.

duff said...

shy? you? i'm not buyin' it.....