Sunday, June 17, 2007

One for Lush...

On Thursday, I found a blues jam to head for. It was pretty hip. It took place on a large stage set up for big shows. There wasn't much of a crowd, but I got to play with a full horn section, which is a damn rare treat. It was even cooler when I found out that the saxaphone player was a guy named Bobby Rey, a Texas saxaphone legend whose claim to fame was playing with the Hollywood Argyles in 1960 when they recorded Alley-oop. I know this will impress no one. Except Ben.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damnit, now I'm going to actually have to go listen to the Alley-Oop song again, because I don't remember there being a strong sax performance featured on it.

Did he mention which version he played on? The famous verson was buy the Hollywood Argylles (sp), which was in fact a cover name for the real performer, but there were one or two other "cover versions" of the same song. I think one of the covers was by Dante and the Evergreens, but I'd have to double-check.

In truth, he could have just been playing his sax for his dead mom in the basement of his house, and he just called it a "recording" for all we know....

But cool that you found an interesting Blues venue. Maybe you'll make the hookup for a good local band and you won't have to look for a job because you'll be gigging steadytime.

Lush out.