Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Motto

After our recent mini-snow storm, Dr. Wife casually mentioned all of the cars that were sitting nose-first in ditches along the highway.
"Hmmm, Self," I said to myself, "I hope they were all ok and prepared for these accidents."

Then it dawned on me... I was not prepared! Nor was Dr. Wife! This is an opportunity for a big geeky Eagle Scout such as yours truly to really go overboard!!
Thus began my project for the day: The Emergency Roadside Preparedness Survival Kits of Ultimate Awesomeness v1.0!!!

Now, keep in mind v1.0 is a working beta version of the kits. There are two kits, one for each car. In the event of a long trip with the whole fam-damily, we would bring both kits.

  • Duct Tape- Come on, it's me here.

  • First Aid Kit- I went with a pre-packaged one, but it's well-stocked.

  • Food- Peanut Butter granola bars and dried fruit.

  • Water- 1 gallon jug, plastic, that hopefully won't rupture as it freezes.

  • Emergency Blankets- 2 of the reflective material sort.

  • Lighter- I will add matches later on, but I'm looking for good ones.

  • Candles- 9 hour camping candles.

  • Rope- 25 feet of light rope.

  • Flares- 3 roadside flares. I promise not to play with them.


I have a few other things to add that are not yet gathered...

  • Flashlights- We really have several, if I can find them.

  • Spare batteries- To be selected after the flashlights.

  • Knives- Of the pocket variety, I have several.

  • Cell phone chargers- The little emergency charge packs.

  • Jumper cables- Dr. Wife has a set, but I need some for my truck.


I'm ready for suggestions. What do you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a shovel in my car, and it is probably the most useful item as an "emergency item". It's one of those shovels that breaks down into two pieces for easy storage. You know how many parking spaces and snow banks I've shoveled myself and others out of? Just beware....others will have shovel envy.

Vimineous said...

Along with the shovel, I would recommend the vehicular multi-tool. The one that allows you to break a window with the hammer point, and has a protected blade for cutting seat belts. I saw one that clamps directly to the bottom of the drivers seat so that way its in reach. Must start collecting these items for my car too.