Monday, December 3, 2007

Name that tune

"I never worked a day in my life. I just laid back and let the big beat lead me."

My buddy Lush (Turgid) has earned this motto for himself. He exudes the back-of-the-beat soul that one would need to wear this on a T-shirt without having to explain it to anyone. Down to the rooster-on-a-noose tattoo on his calf, it's clear that not only does he march to his own drum, but also owns it. What time is it? According to the antique pocket watch that's resting in his hamfist, it's time to be cool.

"It's clobberin' time."
"I'll buy that for a dollar."
"Holy cow!"
"And that's the way it was."
"Don't touch that dial."
"Come on down!"
"Up, up, and away!"
"Excelsior!"
"Be prepared."
"Vir Quisque Vir."
"Tune in, turn on, drop out."
"I shall return."
"Double down."

The good ones have a motto, a slogan, a guiding principle that when uttered conjures their image in the minds of those who hear. It is more than a mission statement, and more than a bumper sticker. It truly embodies their physical and emotional presence in a tiny verbal punch.
Who do you know who carries one of these? Which are your favorite famous lines for famous folks? What line would you assign to someone in your life? So here you go, reader. A challenge that might be meme-worthy:

You tell me: when I enter the room, what song plays? Or what slogan fits me in your mind.
I tell you: what song plays when you enter my room, or a slogan that I think fits.

Go!

7 comments:

Marah Jean said...

Quite honestly, your song is the theme from Shaft interrupted by the Sesame Street song.

Slogan: Sexy like my grandma.

The Rover said...

MJ, for you it's the Isley Brothers, "Shout."
You know you make me wanna...
Shout!

Let's face it: you are an immediate bright burst in any room and just like that song, no one can resist dancing when you get going.
Unbridled joy.

Vimineous said...

Ok except for the Sesame Street bit, MJ took my first place song for Rover. Hmm, I will have to push the boundaries of my mind and get back to ya.

Unknown said...

Very interesting post. I'll have to give it some thought to see if I can help out, but here are songs that sprung to mind before I went to bed:

"59th Street Bridge Song" Simon and Garfunkel
"Hurdy Gurdy Man" Donovan
"Soulfut Strut" Young Coltful Ltd.
"Soul Man" Sam and Dave
"King of the Road" Roger Miller
"The Boss" James Brown
"Heart of Gold" Neil Young
"But It's Alright" J.J. Jackson

I guess it depends on what mood you're in at the time. To me, you can be anything from a strong rock that waves break themselves over in a stormy sea, to the happiest moment you can imagine (then multiplied by a factor of 10), to a high school teacher out for justice, armed with nothing more than a blinding wit and the power to kill a man with your voice.

But I'll give some more thought to it and see what I can come up with. I still owe you that album review. : )

Unknown said...

well, seeing that "shout is already taken" and that turgid took all of the rest of the songs in the universe, allow me to suggest "slow and low" by the beastie boys.

it's a song with edge, sharp, bold, but with the sense that you can slow down, take it easy. and oddly enough, it describes your style. very much along the feel of sit back and let the big beat lead you...

when you enter a room, to me, you are a ray of sunlight breaking thru the clouds on a stormy day. just by being there, by being the genuine you, you make my day better. you don't have to work at it, or do anything, just be there. you are lambda chi alpha (insert secret handshake).

Unknown said...

"Who Do You Love?"

The Bo Diddley version.

The Rover said...

Adeptboy-
Yours is easy. It's the song called "Take her in your arms" by Andy M. Stewart. It's a song that has the line "If you're gonna love a woman then be sure and do it right."
Good advice for us all.

Sean-
Still reviewing. You're too damn multifaceted. I'm currently leaning towards Gustav Holtz "Mars: Bringer of War." It is grand and bold, and requires the beating of strings with sticks.