Monday, October 20, 2008

Perchance

Those of you who keep track of my random world, probably know that I have a silly little dream. I want to own my own bar. I also have a great friend who loves brewing beer, and has been teaching me. He wants to own his own microbrewery. Together, we will own a brewpub. Now that I am in the great soon-to-be-frozen North, close to Matt, this has moved from dream to goal.
What's the difference, you might ask? Well, some good folks once told me that a dream is something that you would love to see, but you aren't proactively doing anything about. A goal is then a dream with wheels.
I suppose that moving here is enough to begin the wheelificiation process of that dream, but I need to work towards it more. It can be done. But how? What will be the next big step towards making it happen?
I suppose financial stability is part of it. Which means I need a job. And I need to learn a lot about big brewing. And running a business. And building a business model.
Can I really do this? Really? Don't just bullshit me here. To go from high school teacher seriously in debt to successful business owner is a big leap for me. I'm not used to financial risk. But if we do it right, we could help cure cancer. For the good of humanity, beer must be brewed...

4 comments:

joygirl said...

I completely believe in the dream to be your own businessman (or woman) My hubby has been doing it for quite a while now, and please feel free to pick his brain for good books, websites, and anything else he might have knowledge of that may help jumpstart your goals.
I can completely see you as a bar owner. The "Cheers" theme song plays in my head. Good luck!

GenZod said...

You can absolutely do this. You and Dr. Wife are a dynamic duo, so I'm sure you'll find a way to get the ball rolling. Your friends will fight to be the first to buy a pint from you, and you can be the first person to host "Drink for the Cure." There's a Race for the Cure and a Sleep for the Cure. Why not Drink for the Cure?

Good luck!

drumdonn said...

They tell me the that owning a bar is like owning a boat... the two best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. The "help" will rob you blind and far too many of your customers are drunks. Don't forget to get plenty of insurance. Some fool will go out and do something REALLY
stupid and then try to blame you for selling him legal intoxicants.
Now that we've heard from MR.DOWN, let's go for the cool part...
You always have a place for The Band to play ! You alway have good place to get a GOOD, cold beer and watch The Game (whatever's
on). You'll be "That Guy"... "Hey,
you own THAT PLACE ??? I LOVE THAT PLACE, man !!!" And being in
a cold, snowy, wintry place like Michigan... God knows they need THAT PLACE. LIVE THE DREAM (be the ball).
Peace.
ps; How you, Bro'?

The Rover said...

If the drummer is in, I'm in. Every bass player knows that! I'm doing alright, brother. It's been quite the time since leaving KS. I miss you and the rest of the band crowd. Give Mrs. Drummer a big hug for me.