Monday, January 14, 2008

The pen is mightier

I bought a pen. I can't remember the last time I bought a pen. Pens arent' purchased. They are acquired. They move, stealthily through the world to my desks, pockets, truck, and kitchen. At night, herds of inky plastic tubes dart from shadow to shadow, searching for the seat cushion cracks and backpacks that they will call home.

I don't mean to imply that I bought a fancy pen. Pilot G-2. Standard notebook use, though the rubber grippy is nice. It really would be a great little night, but I made the mistake of clicking on Denis Leary's "Lock 'n Load" album on the Zune. And realized it was released 10 years ago, right as I was preparing to graduate undergrad.

And then it hit me. My 10 year college reunion is here. I've been teaching as long as it took me to go through junior high, high school, and college combined. Oh, sweet Kevin Bacon Lord of All I'm old! As of this spring, I will have been a father for the same length of time I was a college kid.

There ain't a scotch strong enough to knock that right. Am I really that old?

I suppose I'll go when the time comes. I enjoyed college like Robin Williams enjoyed cocaine. High school is fading from my memory (and junior high was gone from my skull years ago), and if a reunion occurred, I was blissfully unaware. But college? I'll go. I will even pull out my Spin Doctors, Morphine, and Presidents of the United States of America CD's and load them up in anticipation.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"I'll take 'The Penis Mightier' for $400 Trebek!"

Vimineous said...

Can't resist. "Give me Anal Bum Covers for $1000 Trebek!"

The Rover said...

I couldn't resist giving it that title.
"The category is batman or robin. I will show you a picture. You tell me if it's batman or robin. Keanu, for the last time, you do not know kung fu."

Unknown said...

"two guys walk in to a bar...i forget the rest, but your mother's a whore"

FTWinsor said...

Raspberry Nut Crunch f*ucking Ale!

That is all.

-gw

duff said...

10 years? sometimes i forget what a geezer you are.

then again, i started doing the math as soon as i finished your post, and i'm not sure how it happened, but it seems that i'll be up to eight years as of the end of april.

where did the time go?

as for the high school reunion, for some reason, i always thought it was something the fine folks at park hill organized, but ours wound up being a student-led effort.